04.20.2014  |   | Subscribe  | Contact us

All News & Blogs

E-mail Alerts

Canal robbery never happened, say police
Police say they've determined that Nov. 19 report of canal path robbery was bogus

Date published: 11/30/2012

BY KEITH EPPS

Fredericksburg police have determined that a robbery on the canal path that was reported last week never happened.

A 44-year-old homeless man had claimed that he was walking near Cossey Pond Nov. 19 when he was struck in the back of the head and knocked out. When he woke up hours later, according to the story, his food was all over him, his iPhone 5 was smashed and between $100 and $800 in cash was missing.

The man also described three people he'd encountered just before he was knocked out, a teenage girl and two older men.

Police spokeswoman Natatia Bledsoe said police have investigated the incident and determined that it was unfounded.

She said police do not believe the man was intentionally misleading police, but said his recollection of events "could not be substantiated due to mitigating factors." Bledsoe declined to elaborate.

Bledsoe also said police believe the people the man described exist but had nothing to do with any robbery.

Police have consulted with the city commonwealth's attorney's office, and the man will not be charged with filing a false police report.

Keith Epps: 540/374-5404
Email: kepps@freelancestar.com