YOUR TOWN:  Caroline | Culpeper | King George | Fredericksburg | Orange | Spotsylvania | Stafford | Westmoreland     TODAY: 11.25.2014 | 

Your guide to Fredericksburg-area support services

When you need financial aid for you or your family, the Social Services Department in your locality may be able to help.


Complete an Application for Benefits by dropping it off or mailing it to your local Social Services Department. The form can be picked up during business hours, or one can be mailed to you. An eligibility worker might have to interview you.


You must live in Virginia and be a U.S. citizen or meet certain requirements if you are an immigrant. The information you provide must be verifiable; you must have documentation to support it.


WIC—Women, Infants and Children benefits provide nutritious foods to help pregnant women, post-delivery or breast-feeding mothers and infants and children under age 5.

Auxiliary grants—An auxiliary grant is a supplement to income for recipients of Supplemental Security Income and some other elderly or disabled individuals living in a licensed assisted living facility or adult foster care home.

State/local hospitalization—Provides direct payment to hospitals for individuals who are unable to pay for required medical services. Inpatient and outpatient doctor visits are not covered. Other restrictions apply.

Medicaid—Medicaid makes direct payments to health care providers for families who are unable to pay for services, including hospital care, doctor’s visits, prescriptions and mental-health and rehabilitation services. Medicaid covers medically indigent children and pregnant women; low-income families and children; aged, blind and disabled; and long-term care.

FAMIS—The FAMIS program was created to meet the health care needs of Virginia’s uninsured children from birth to age 18 who are in working families that earn too much money to qualify for Medicaid but not enough to afford private health insurance.

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families—Provides temporary financial assistance to eligible families with children. The family receives a monthly cash payment to meet basic needs such as food, clothing, housing and other costs of living. To be eligible, families must be financially needy and meet a number of other requirements. A family can receive TANF benefits for no longer than 24 months at a time, and no longer than 60 months in a lifetime. Parents who are able-bodied must register in the Virginia Initiative for Employment not Welfare program that will help them find a job.

Food stamps—Food stamps are electronic benefits that can be used like cash to buy food at any store that has a sign displaying the Cardinal card or the Quest sign. If you are age 18 to 50 and able to work, you may be required to work in order to receive food stamps.

Energy assistance program—Assists low-income households that pay a high proportion of household income for home energy. There are four components: fuel assistance, crisis assistance, cooling assistance and weatherization assistance.

Family service programs

Foster care—Temporary care is arranged for children who cannot be in their own homes.

Independent living services—Prepares foster teens and those up to age 21 for transition to adulthood and self-sufficiency.

Adoption—Places children who need a permanent home.

Child protective services—Investigates reports of child abuse and neglect.

Child support enforcement—Ensures children receive the support to which they are entitled.

Day care—Families are given assistance in finding and monitoring child care. Eligible families may receive financial assistance. There are a number of types of arrangements to choose from.

Adult services—Home-based and community-based services help the elderly or adults with disabilities stay in their homes. Adult day care and foster family care may be provided.

Domestic violence—The statewide family violence and sexual assault hotline is 800/838-8238. Public and private agencies provide services to survivors of domestic violence and their children.

Refugee resettlement—Public and private agencies help refugees adjust socially and economically.

Volunteer services—Assist local Social Service agencies with direct, indirect and advisory services.

Social Services departments

For more details on these programs and others, call your Social Services Department.

FREDERICKSBURG: 608 Jackson St. Fredericksburg, Va. 22401; 540/372-1032; ments/socialservices/index.aspx. Open 8:15 a.m.–4:30 p.m. weekdays.

STAFFORD: Stafford County Government Center, 1300 Courthouse Road, Stafford, Va. 22555; 540/658-8720; social_services. Open 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. weekdays.

SPOTSYLVANIA: 10304 Spotsylvania Ave., 4th Floor, Fredericksburg, Va. 22408; 540/507-7898; .us/departments/socialservices. Open 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. weekdays.

CAROLINE: 17202 Richmond Turnpike, Bowling Green, Va. 22427; 804/633-5071; .html. Open 8:30 a.m.–4:40 p.m. weekdays.

KING GEORGE: 10069 Kings Highway, King George, Va. 22484; 540/775-7181; Open 8:15 a.m.–4:45 p.m. weekdays.

WESTMORELAND: 18849 Kings Highway, Montross, Va. 22520; 804/493-9305; Open 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m. weekdays.

CULPEPER: 219 East Davis St., Suite 10, Culpeper, Va. 22701; 540/727-0372; Open 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m. weekdays.

FAUQUIER: Human Services Building, 320 Hospital Drive, Suite 11, Warrenton, Va. 20186; protective services: 540/347-2316; benefits: 540/341-3340; ment/departments/socialservices. Open weekdays 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

LOUISA: 103 McDonald St., Louisa, Va. 23093; 540/967-1320. Open weekdays 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

ORANGE: 146 Madison Road, Suite 201, Orange, Va. 22960; 540/672-1155. Open weekdays 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

The Free Lance-Star 93.3 WFLS Print Innovators 96.9 The Rock 99.3 The Vibe wntx radio