A false alarm triggered an emergency evacuation at Paragon Village 12 next to Spotsylvania Towne Centre Saturday evening.

Firemen from Spotsylvania Fire, Rescue & Emergency Management were contacted at 9:10 p.m. and responded for a commercial fire alarm, said Deputy Fire Chief Jason Irby.

Patrons were evacuated while they searched for the cause of the alarm, which turned out to be a problem with the roof top air handling unit, he said. There was no emergency.

Zach Cooper, a Paragon Village 12 manager, said that the unit had stopped functioning, which triggered the alarm in one of the two theaters that were showing movies that evening.

Paragon Village 12 was closed Sunday, but reopened Monday.

“As safety of our guests are always a top priority, we have been working with the local fire department as we speak to make sure all systems are working properly,” said Paragon CEO Michael F. Whalen Jr.

Paragon Village 12 staff is trying to reach those who had to leave before their movie was over to apologize and explain what happened, Cooper said. They’ll be able to come back watch their movie again for free.

Get our FredBiz Newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Cathy Jett: 540/374-5407

Load comments