Metro Diner, which has a location in Greenbrier Shopping Center in Fredericksburg, has officially declared today, Aug. 8, as the first National Fried Chicken & Waffle Day.
To mark the occasion, the Jacksonville, Fla.-based chain is serving up the dish for $9.99. It’s regularly $15.99.
Metro Diner’s 40 locations across the United States have already served more than 250,000 orders of Fried Chicken & Waffle, and are on track to serve half a million by the end of 2018. That amounts to over 1,200 orders a day.
The chain has been featured on the Food Network’s “Diners, Drive–Ins and Dives,” and specializes in comfort food including fried chicken and waffles. Its recipe calls for the chicken to be brined for 24 hours and then marinated for an additional 24 hours before it’s fried and served.
Here’s is its recipe for the at-home version:
Instructions for Chicken:
- Use fresh, never frozen chicken.
- Soak chicken in brine of choice for 24 hours.
- Marinate in marinade of choice for an additional 24 hours.
- On medium–high heat, fry chicken for 10–12 minutes.
Instructions for Waffles:
- Set waffle iron to desired heat.
- Using your favorite waffle mix, stir in mixing bowl until it is lump free.
- Spray iron with cooking spray of choice.
- Fill iron with waffle mix and let bake.
Drizzle syrup and enjoy!