- Mental Health First Aid provides skills to help during a mental health crisis. The Rappahannock Area Community Services Board offers one- and two-day training courses in Spotsylvania. $25 registration fee includes workbook, refreshments and lunch on the first day. Classes are limited and will be held: May 2, 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and May 3, 8:30 a.m. to noon at Rappahannock United Way, 3310 Shannon Park Drive; and Oct. 17, 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and Oct. 18, 8:30 a.m. to noon at Rappahannock United Way, 3310 Shannon Park Drive. Upcoming Youth Mental Health First Aid trainings will be held May 9, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Rappahannock United Way, 3310 Shannon Park Drive; and Sept. 12, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Rappahannock United Way, 3310 Shannon Park Drive. To register, contact Jennifer Bateman at 540/374-3337, ext. 100, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Adults with Aspergers and the Parents of Adults with Aspergers groups will meet from 7–9 p.m. at 409 Progress St., Fredericksburg. Meeting entrance is the last door on the right. Regular meetings are held the first Friday of the month. The purpose of these meetings is to provide a safe and social atmosphere for individuals on the Autism scale and their parents/caregivers. There are no membership fees or costs; however, healthy snacks and dessert contributions are appreciated. For details, contact Danielle at 540/538-0262 or Karen at 540/842-1005.
- Stafford Hospital 5K Run/Walk will take place from 8:30–11 a.m. at Stafford Hospital Medical Pavilion, 125 Hospital Center Blvd. This will be the fourth race in the Fredericksburg Area Running Club, Coldwell Banker Elite Grand Prix Series. Devoted runners, weekend joggers and families are invited to participate. Cost is $30–$35. Registration is required. Proceeds will benefit Stafford Hospital and the community. For details or to register, visit SH5K.mwhc.com.
- Free training, offered from 10:30 a.m. to noon at Ladysmith Library, 7199 Clara Smith St., Ruther Glen, will teach how to recognize an opioid overdose and how to use naloxone to reverse an overdose. Each attendee will receive a free kit that includes the supplies needed to administer naloxone. Registration is required. Visit rappahannockareacsb.org/portfolio-view/revive.
- Walk ‘N Roll Fredericksburg will take place from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Quarles Petroleum, 1701 Fall Hill Ave., Fredericksburg. Registration will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. There will be food, music, kids’ games, wheelchair course, information booths, disAbility Awareness Cache Hunt prep and spirit building. At 12:45 p.m., participants will line up for the walk, which will begin at 1 p.m. Leashed dogs welcome. Cost is $20. Register at secure.getmeregistered.com/get_information.php?event_id=128814. Call 540/373-2559 for details.
- JDRF One Walk will kick off its 15th annual event in Fredericksburg on at Dixon Park from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Aiming to raise more than $40,000 to help fund needed type 1 diabetes research. The event is expected to attract more than 500 supporters, including teams representing local businesses, families, schools and other organizations. JDRF encourages people of all ages driven to participate in the 3-mile walk. Pre-registration is recommended and on-site check-in begins at 11:30 a.m. For details, go to jdrf.org.
- Mental Health America of Fredericksburg will host its 11th annual Walk for Mental Wellness at Maury Park in Fredericksburg from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Activities include a warm-up session, 1- and 3-mile walks through downtown, music, activities for kids, a silent auction, a raffle, food and refreshments for registered walkers, and awards for walkers and teams. Cost is $25. Visit mhafred.org/walk.
HOW TO SUBMIT ITEMS
- To list an event, email email@example.com. Include a phone number. Calendar appears every Sunday. Deadline for items is noon the preceding Tuesday before publication.