Fire

Fire and rescue personnel responded to a two-alarm fire at 9:53 p.m. Friday at China Wong at 909 Garrisonville Road in North Stafford.

China Wong in Stafford shuts down after grease fire

Grease buildup in kitchen equipment at a Chinese restaurant in Stafford County not only caused a code violation but also contributed to a fire that has shut down the business, according to the Stafford County Fire and Rescue Department.

Fire and rescue personnel responded to a two-alarm fire at 9:53 p.m. Friday at China Wong at 909 Garrisonville Road in North Stafford. Several passersby had called 911 to report flames in the roof and that workers were inside trying to extinguish the fire, Assistant Chief Roger Sutherland said in a press release.



When the first unit arrived, flames were coming from the roof vent area, and firefighters determined the blaze was in the kitchen. They brought the fire under control at 10:24 p.m., Sutherland said.

China Wong recently had a fire inspection and received fire code violations due to grease accumulations in the kitchen hood, Sutherland said, adding the grease was a contributing factor in the fire. The Fire Marshal’s Office issued a summons for failure to take corrective action on the outstanding violations and will continue with the investigation on the hood suppression system.

China Wong sustained significant damage and is unable to reopen, according to the Stafford Fire Department. Two adjoining businesses sustained minor damages estimated at $50,000.

Units from Quantico Marine Corps Base, Prince William County, Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County also responded to the fire.

—Cathy Dyson

Cathy Dyson: 540/374-5425

cdyson@freelancestar.com

Recommended for you

Load comments