The Stafford County Fire Marshal’s Office says it discovered an illegal distillery Tuesday afternoon while investigating a garage fire at a home in Falmouth.

Investigators reported the setup to Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control agents, who confiscated a makeshift stovetop distillery and a copper still outside of the split-foyer home in the 100 block of Kelley Road. They also discarded a 5-gallon bucket of mash, according to a news release from the Fire and Rescue Department.

Firefighters responded to a garage fire at the home at 2:47 p.m. and brought the blaze under control in 20 minutes. Nobody was injured, but three adults and two children were displaced after the fire caused smoke damage throughout the house.

The Fire Marshall’s Office determined that a short circuit in an extension cord, not the distillery, caused the fire. The home sustained an estimated $70,000 in damages, according to the fire department.

A news release from the fire department did not say whether the ABC agents pressed charges.

Get our Alerts and Breaking News emails

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Jeff Branscome: 540/374-5402

jbranscome@freelancestar.com

Recommended for you

Load comments